You Won't Believe Your Eyes!


I had to take a picture so those of you who have known me for any length of time would believe me.
I CAN SEW!
It's true. I have now sewn 8 curtains for the house, Dharia's dust ruffle, and 2 crib sheets. Now I have conquered boxer shorts as well. Colby has 2 new pairs of boxer shorts. One has smiling skulls and crossbones and the other one is a baseball pattern. I was all-state in two sports in high school and was honored with the President's Cup 4 years in a row at Alma College, but I'm not sure I've ever been more proud of myself than I am right now. Seriously.

Ask my mother. I am not in any way, shape, or form, domestically inclined. She tried her best, poor soul, to do her motherly duty and teach me to cook, bake, clean, sew, put on make up, do my hair, etc. Ironing didn't take. Cleaning house definitely didn't take. It looked hopeless for a long time. But, look ma! I can sew!
Wow, lots of new things have been going on in the Sharp household lately. It seems like the sleep situation is getting worse, not better. Colby and I are zombies most of the time. Thank goodness for the Olympics. There's nothing better to watch at 3 am than some good old Olympics. We've gotten to appreciate sports that we never really did before. I now understand badminton a little better.
Colby and Dharia dozing in the afternoon. They were both up during the night!

Dharia sleeping peacefully despite Breslin's best efforts to climb into her bassinet. Too bad she only does this during the day time!

Colby and I are both back on Weight Watchers. Pretty much this means we're obsessed with food all waking hours of the day. As soon as we finish one meal we start thinking about the next. Luckily, it has been easier with all of the great fresh veggies we have available right now. Sweet corn is definitely my favorite and I am greatly saddened that it won't be around much longer. Even Bres is digging the sweet corn, which is unusual since his normal palette favors junk food almost exclusively. See for yourself...



I have also started running again, and I use the verb "running" very loosely. It's depressing how out of shape I am, but I know there's a reason for it and I also know there's only one way to fix it. So my goal right now is to run the "Festival of the Forks" 5K in the middle of September. The Festival of the Forks celebrate the fork of the rivers that run through Albion. In fact, the fork is very nearly right across from our backyard. The festival celebrates culture and diversity, featuring native African drumming and dancing along with a lot of great food. Oh, what do I care, I'm on Weight Watchers! Dang it!

I have a new job, too. Western High School offered me a full time chemistry position, which I accepted last week. It was an extremely difficult decision, but one that Colby and I both felt God wanted us to make. I am sad to leave my friends and my students at Northwest, but I know that there is a reason that God wants me at Western, too. One of my favorite things about teaching is the first couple of days of school, when past students I've had will come up to me and give me a hug or just say "hi". I won't have that this year, and I'm pretty bummed about it. I do know that Western is a great school district, though (from personal experience), and Colby is super excited to be able to go to Western football games on Friday nights (go figure).

I will leave you with one of my most favorite Breslin pictures of all time (so far). I love the fair. Because of the timing of Dharia's birth, I wasn't able to make it to the Jackson County Fair this year. Let me clarify, I don't love the midway or the rides or the animals. I love the food. I go to the fair to eat. Pizza, elephant ears, corn dogs, Fiske fries, fried mushrooms...I pretty much starve myself all day so that I can eat it all when I get to the fair. We went to the Calhoun County fair instead, which was a much different experience, but luckily still had the requisite elephant ears and fries. Kellogg's was there to hand out free stuff to the kids. Breslin got all kinds of crap (I mean, good stuff...har har) including a pretty sweet Pop Tarts winter hat. He absolutely loved it and wanted to wear it even when it was a sweltering 85 degrees.



Comments

Chelsea said…
I love your updates! ;-) really, I do!!
Anonymous said…
Hey Sharps! I love checking this blog, we will get one soon. School has been crazy busy, you know the drill, pulled in a million directions. We got 3-d pics of Khalan yesterday, he is so amazing, I am in complete head over heals love!

We miss you and I will say I am VERY proud you can sew, I wish I could. With everything else you have going on, I know how amazing it is to learn that. Can you sew nursing bras yet? lol

I LOVE YOU!
Alaina - you've got one up on me! I can clean house and iron *only if I absolutely have to!* but sewing is just.not.me.!
And Congratulations on becoming part of the WHS Staff :) I'm sure you will do fantastically..is that a word? I'm too tired to decide. I have a job interview on Friday with one of the Catholic Elementary Schools so if you have any spare time, could you say an extra prayer for us? We really need a change of pace! Thanks and have a stupendous day!
Sara said…
If you ever feel like picking up knitting, let me know. I can send you easy patterns for hats for the kids!

Good luck with the running! I hated getting back in shape, especially since Jake could outrun me.
Jessica said…
Congrats on the new job, and the sewing too!! I've decided that I want to make the kids' Halloween costumes this year, and maybe Holly's birthday dress too. I've really only sewn a few things, so we'll see how it goes. We don't have a sewing machine though, so I will have to use my mom's ancient one - so that sucks...

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!