Blogging just got easier...

It's really not excusable how horrible I've been at updating the blog. I will attempt to blame my dinosaur of a desktop computer. It would take seemingly forever to upload pictures and videos. But, we have saved up and purchased a new laptop computer. So, no more excuses! I vow to be better and bring you the oh-so-exciting happenings of the Sharp family on a much regular basis!

Okay, I was kind of hoping for some applause there, but oh well.

I thought the summer would find the Sharp family in this blissfully relaxed state, but that has not turned out to be the case at all. I have found that with two children, nothing really can be considered relaxing any more. For example, as I sit here writing this post, I am simulaneously drinking coffee, icing my knee, and reading Bres Dr. Seuss's ABC book (for the third time). It helps that he knows the whole thing by heart, but still.

But we are home, which has been somewhat of a rare occurrence this summer. We have been on the go nearly every day, which has been a lot of fun, but also very busy. From the local library, to Lake Michigan, to the Binder Park Zoo, nearly every day is filled with some kind of adventure.

Last night, we got home from Ishpeming at 10:30 pm. For those of you who don't know, that's in Michigan's upper peninsula, a place that I could definitely see myself living someday. Nearby Marquette, MI (home of Northern Michigan University) is historic and lively. There are tons of cool things to do to. I got to go on a hike with a dear friend who lives in the area.

But the real reason we went to Ishpeming in the first place was to attend the St. Rocco's/St. Anthony's festival, which is a once-a-year celebration for the Italian-Americans who live in or are from the area. My mom's fiancee, Bob, grew up in Ishpeming and his family has a strong Italian heritage. Apparently during the mining days of upper Michigan, young Italians were recruited to come over to work. Consequently, the UP is filled with families of 1st and 2nd generation Italians.

The festival was one of the coolest things I've had the opportunity to witness. Aside from the amazing food (hello, homemade meatballs!), the music, dancing, and La Mora were extremely entertaining. La Mora is an Italian game that is played tournament-style during the course of the festival. The best I can do to describe it is to compare it to a a more complicated version of rock-paper-scissors. This website does a great job explaining it: http://www.istrianet.org/istria/sports/board/mora-eng.htm

The weekend was made complete when Bob became the grand champion of the La Mora tournament. According to La Mora experts, "The champion is well admired by all present in the bar and younsters keep track of these famous people and talk about them with reverence, hoping that one day they will become champion “Mora” players themselves". So, in other words, it's a pretty big freakin' deal.

On the way home, we stopped at McDonald's a total of three times during the nine hour haul. At our second stop, Breslin entertained us with more of his classic antics:


But for now, we're home with nothing pressing on the agenda for today. So here I am, amidst strewn toys, suitcases, and dirty clothes. I'm wondering if I should get up off my butt and take care of it, or just enjoy the chaos for a big longer. Regardless, it's a beautiful day and I'm looking forward to whatever it brings, even if it means I have to read that dang ABC book a few more times. :)

Comments

MikeandJen said…
just like his daddy's ketchup obsession. :)
David R. said…
*clap* *clap* *clap*?

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!