Day 80 -- Calvin and Hobbes

When I was in junior high and high school, I used to read the anthologies of several comic strips, including Garfield, Fox Trot, The Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes.  I remember reading them by the light of my bedside lamp, trying to stifle my giggles so that my parents wouldn't come bust me for staying up too late reading (the horror!).

Calvin and Hobbes, especially, resonated with my sense of humor.  I found the strip simultaneously witty, funny, thought-provoking and perceptive.  I collected all of the anthologies, but somewhere between then and now, I either lost them or gave them away.  I told my husband about my tendency to read them from cover to cover, and how I was sad that I no longer had them.  Not too surprisingly, for Christmas, I received The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book from Santa.

I have been slowly working my way through the book, and tonight I was reminded of Calvin's finicky eating habits and of his gift for creating macabre snowman art.  I was captivated by Calvin's facial expressions and delighted by his witty banter.  I am thankful that I have a sweet husband who listened to my dumb ramblings and bought me this gift.  I am thankful for the chance to read through it and for the opportunity to think about my early experiences with Calvin and Hobbes.  I am thankful for the talent of a total stranger, Bill Watterson, and his never-failing ability to make me laugh.

Thank God for Calvin and Hobbes!

Lord, thank you for the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip.  I know it's kind of a strange thing to be thankful for, but I am so grateful that it always able to make me laugh, no matter how many times I have read it.  Thank you for my husband, who got this gift for me.  Thank you for the time you provided to me tonight which enabled me to read some more of it.  Thank you for opening my eyes to the many blessings all around me that come in all shapes and sizes.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!