Day 255 -- Running with the Girls

I ran the interval workout with my cross-country girls today.  It was challenging, but definitely rewarding.  Not only is it a way to get a sneaky workout in while I'm working, it is a way to connect with the girls in a way that I don't usually get to as a coach.  As we struggle through the workout together, I can encourage them, push them, and give them advice to become smarter runners.  The sport of cross-country has a huge psychological component (at least, in my opinion it does), and I think that most young girls need to be taught how to run their races mentally just as much or more than they need to be coached to reach their ultimate physical potential.  Today, for example, we focused on the last half of our 400s.  As soon as we hit the halfway point, we intentionally pushed ourselves to the brink during the last 200 meters.  By breaking the interval into pieces, we made it more manageable mentally and we actually ended up running them at a much faster pace overall.  It's really fun to see them progress in this area of mental toughness throughout the season.  Plus, I felt that great runners high from knowing that I could keep up with high school varsity cross-country runners -- well, at least for one workout.

Thank God for running with the girls!

Lord, thank you for a good workout with the girls.  Thank you for giving me the chance to offer them something that will maybe help them to become better runners.  I am so grateful for the season so far, both for the fun times I have had and for the amazing kids you have put into my path, who make me smile and laugh every day.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Oh Al...you're so talented! You rocked that run! :) We miss you terribly too and your family. I love keeping up with you and reading about all of your adventures. Love you! Good luck starting school next week, I'll be thinking of you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!