Day 280 -- The "Lovies"

Each of my kids has a "lovey" that they are extremely attached to:

Little Robbie: Little Robbie is a frog that Colby gave me when I was a senior in high school leaving for spring break.  One day Breslin found it and just fell in love.  The frog was carried around every day, but didn't have a name until one day when Breslin was sick and I stayed home from school with him.  We visited the pharmacy to fill a prescription for him.  The frog naturally had to come along, and Breslin clutched him as I waited in line. The pharmacist felt bad for my sick boy and called Breslin "poor Little Robbie"  he saw his real first name, Robert, on the prescription he was filling).  I thought it was hilarious that Breslin could be known as Robbie, so I decided to honor that memory by giving the name to the frog.  Little Robbie has been all over, including the UP and preschool.  Everyone in our household and most anyone who spends any amount of time with us knows who Little Robbie is.  Even AJ can now say Robbie. It's cute.

Shubby: Shubby is a little beanbag bear that was given to Dharia Lou by her Grandpa Stuart.  I have no idea where the name came from, but it fits.  Shubby has been washed about a million times and gets lost frequently.  Every time Dharia realizes he's missing she wails in desperation and grief until he is found.

Tootsie: For AJ's first birthday, we took her to the Toy House in downtown Jackson with the intention of letting her pick out her very own lovey, since, by this time, we had realized that having a lovey was a pretty big deal.  The Toy House has about a gajillion stuffed animals to choose from.  The only problem was, she hated them all and screamed bloody murder whenever we put one into her line of sight.  We were about to give up when I saw the cutest little stuffed owl (of all things).  The crying stopped instantly, she reached for the owl and hugged it tight.  It was meant to be.  Tootsie comes from the owl on the Tootsie Pop commercials, naturally.

I never really had a stuffed animal or blanket that I was super attached to as a kid, so this is a fun and strange phenomenon for me to watch unfold.  I worry about the ramifications of losing one, but mostly I'm thankful that my kids have something that brings them so much joy on a daily basis.  All of the lovies go to bed with and wake up with my kids.  It's comforting to know that they have a "friend" that brings them peace and joy each day.

Thank God for the "lovies"!

Lord, thank you for our little extended family of stuffed animals.  Thank you for the joy and comfort they bring to my kids and for the memories they bring to mind.  Thank you for small, yet significant blessings you bring to our lives every day.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Suzanne Gibbs said…
Great story!!! I love you and miss you soooooo much! xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!