Day 379 -- Little Helpers

Lately, my two oldest children have been like an extra two pairs of hands.  I realized today that they are finally at the age where I can ask them to help me with things, do favors for me, or be gophers for me ... without feeling stupid for thinking they might actually do it.

It hit me when I was up to my elbows in bath water trying to get AJ clean after a spaghetti dinner.  I didn't have a cup to use for washing her hair.  Dharia and Breslin were in the room next door, playing.  Without even thinking, I called for Dharia.  She came bouncing in and asked, "Yes, Mom?"

I pleaded, "Can you please go in the kitchen and ask daddy to get two cups for you for AJ's bath and then bring them to me?"

"Sure, Mom!" she beamed.

I was skeptical, but 30 seconds later, she was back, bearing two plastic cups.  She gave them to me and then leaned over for a kiss.

One of the most difficult parts of my day is getting my three kids out of the van when we get home from school.  Unbuckling them all, helping them down from the van, making sure they don't fall in the snow or slip on the ice, plus grabbing three kids' worth of lunchboxes, daycare/preschool papers, sippy cups, lovies, and blankets is a cumbersome and frustrating process.  In the last couple of weeks, however, I have been able to ask Breslin and Dharia to hold on to things for me or to go back and pick up something that I dropped.  They have also been great with AJ.  Dharia helps take her shoes and jacket off almost every time we come home.  Breslin tries really hard to cheer her up when she is crying and helps her get things that she can't reach or carry by herself.  I wasn't exactly thrilled when he helped her open a box of Cheez-Its and bring it into the living room, but it was still cute.

Tonight, I am thankful for their willing, helpful attitudes.  It's great to have my little helpers at my side !

Thank God for my little helpers!

Lord, thank you for Breslin and Dharia, who have been so helpful lately.  Thank you that they are willing to help others and to make life easier for me around the house.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
What wonderful kids. I love those guys!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!