Day 621 -- Firsts

It was a day of firsts.

Of course, it was the first day of school for Colby and I.  I forgot how much I truly loathed 5 am.  Whatever.  We survived.  Within a couple of weeks, it will be like we were never gone.

In more exciting news, it was the first day of kindergarten for Breslin, who at 6:30 am was so excited and looked exceedingly handsome in his checked shirt, khaki shorts, and robot backpack you couldn't help but just be thrilled for him.

When I picked him up, I asked him to tell me all about his day.  This is what I got:

"Ummmm....I can only tell you two things.  First, I colored a Warner busy bee.  Second, I really wanted a hamburger for lunch but grandma gave me cheese pizza."

Grandma is the head cook at Warner Elementary, by the way.  I'm not sure how Breslin thought it would work, but apparently he was confused as to why grandma wasn't serving him up short-order style.

Having family at the school your kid goes to is pretty fabulous.  Instead of knowing absolutely nothing about Breslin's first day, I got text updates throughout the day from Kathy, even a picture of him at his desk first thing in the morning.

After school, Breslin had his first piano lesson with my Aunt Suzanne, his Mimo, who told me it went exceptionally well, despite it taking place after a long first day.

When I picked him up from Suzanne's, he fell asleep within three minutes of being buckled into his seat in the van. 

It was also the first day we did school, cross-country practice, piano lessons, and gymnastics all at once.  That was eye-opening.  But hey, we stopped at McDonald's on the way from piano lessons to gymnastics, so Breslin ended up getting his hamburger after all.  After he woke up, that is.

While we watched Dharia at gymnastics, Colby and I tried to pry every ounce of information we could out of Breslin about his first day.  He didn't feel like talking a whole lot, but he did show us the book he made today, called "School Rules!" filled with all of the rules kindergarteners need to know to function at school, such as "Keep your hands and your feet to yourself," and "Clean up  your area."  If I was a kindergarten teacher, I'd also include, "Only wipe your boogers on tissues," and  "Always take a nap".  But seriously, the book was cute.  We read it at least a couple dozen times.  Breslin did not find it amusing when I changed the words or read the rules backwards..."Run!  Don't walk!" and "Keep your nose and your fingernails to yourself" were things I thought were pretty funny, but I got sternly reprimanded each time I joked.

 
Firsts can be scary.  I am happy not to be counting down to the first day of school anymore, dreading what that would bring.  Now I know, and it's all good.
 
Thank God for firsts!
 
Lord, thank you for getting us through a wild, crazy, long day of firsts.  Thank you that Breslin's first day of school went well and that I got to hear so much about it.  Please be with us through the rest of this week.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!