Day 682 -- Hello, Yeti!

Today was the first ever "Hello, Yeti!" Klunker-Cross and 5K Trail Race.  The Klunker-Cross cyclicsts started the event off by completing as many 1 mile loops as they could in a 30 minute period.  Then, the runners tackled a muddy, hilly, root-infested course that wound through the back-woods trails of the high school.

My colleagues and I, who dreamed up the event at a beginning-of-the-year in-service, have been working incredibly hard over the last several weeks to get everything ready and organized for the event.  It was designed to generate funds for the Western Runners Club, which supports the cross-country and track teams at Western Middle and High Schools.

And as of last night, only 18 people had pre-registered.

We were able to cover our costs, but were concerned about the lack of interest.  After all, we thought we on to something pretty fun and exciting!

Dharia, AJ, and I took off early this morning to get to the course and set up.  We put out pylons for the runners to follow the course and raked the trails in the back woods to help prevent turned ankles.  Before the event had even started, I marveled at how much fun I was having just being outside with my girls, getting a chance to spend time with them even while I was working.

And it didn't stop there.  The girls helped me ring cowbells for the cyclists as they came through.  Then, they stood out on the trails and helped me direct runners while cheering and giving high fives.  Finally, they did their own version of a kids' run on the track. 

I had so much fun hanging out with my daughters, that I didn't realize until later how many people showed up this morning to register.  We actually made out pretty well.  The courses ran great and people seemed to have a lot of fun.  We raised some money for a good cause and put on a good show.  I think we'll be able to make it even bigger and better next year.


Even Cole Brady caught the Klunker-Cross excitement and decided to give it a go!

I am so glad that the event went as wonderfully as it did, and I am so grateful for the unexpected quality time it meant I got with my girls. 

Thank God for the Hello, Yeti!

Lord, thank you for helping us pull off the "Hello, Yeti!" today.  Thank you that it went better than expected and for the extra time it gave me with my girls.  In your name I pray, Amen.


Comments

Jim said…
Congratulations! Sorry I missed it!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!