Day 718 -- My New Favorite Spot

Despite the cold, rainy day, we Sharps were determined to get a Christmas tree.  Every year we go to Granny D's farm out by Hanover, ride out to the trees on a wagon pulled by a huge tractor, and pick out our favorite.  Colby gets on the ground and hacks it down.  But not before getting a picture with "the one":

 We drag it back to the tractor and ride back, where the nice folks at Granny D's shake the excess needles out of the tree and wrap it.  We pay them and chat for a bit by a large, blazing campfire before carrying the tree back to the truck.  Then, we spend the entire ride home talking about the tree, how we will decorate it, and what we will eat while we do.  It's quite an event: we eat pizza, drink sparkling juice, and place ornaments on the tree. It's one of the days I look forward to the most of the whole year. 

I am so grateful for this tradition we have together as a family.

One thing that I was surprised by, however, was when we got home.  As we rearranged things to accommodate the tree and other Christmas decorations, one of our chairs and footstool ended up in a part of the room where we don't normally have furniture.  It happens to also be directly across from the fireplace and right next to the tree.  Right now, I am smelling fresh greens, listening to Christmas music played by piano, and basking in the light of our Christmas tree.  It's so peaceful and wonderful.  This is my new favorite spot.  I see myself here many nights over the next couple of week, listening to Christmas music and reading a good book.  I'm thankful for this unexpected treat brought about by getting our Christmas tree today.

Thank God for my new favorite spot!

Lord, thank you for our fun tradition and for the time we got to spend together as a family today.  Thank you for the comfort of my own home and for the chance to enjoy it a for a little while tonight.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!