The Night You were Born...

So here’s the story of Breslins’s birth. I guess you could say it was pretty routine as far as giant babies coming through smaller openings go, but for two rookie parents it was an unbelievably unforgettable experience!
It would be the understatement of the century to say that my husband, Colby, is an avid sports enthusiast. I mean, this guy can quote stats about athletes and sporting events that took place long before he was even born. It was New Years Day (2007) and we were relaxing and watching the Boise State vs. Oklahoma game. If you recall, it was a great game that went into overtime. At the start of the second overtime, when I went to go to the bathroom (not an east feat at 9 months pregnant), my water broke. Well, at least I thought it broke. I wasn’t sure, as I’d heard many stories of pregnant women claiming their water had broken, then driving to the hospital only to be told that they had just had an episode of urinary incontinence. Yikes. After doing some research in “What to Expect When You’re Expecting”, we learned nothing except for that the only way to tell that your water had broken and not the other thing was to “smell” the fluid. Colby and I looked at each other to see who was willing to do this, but neither of us were. Shocking, I know. The problem was solved, however, when the contractions started with some gusto. I was determined not to go to the hospital early, because I didn’t want to hang around there for any longer than I absolutely had to. So…I took a shower and took my time packing. However, the contractions were getting stronger and closer together. In fact, when we decided to actually start timing them, they were less than 2 minutes apart! So, to the hospital we went.
Once we found our way to labor and delivery, the nurse actually had the audacity to suggest that I might not actually be in labor. I remember thinking to myself that if it wasn’t for real, I was just going to hurl myself out the window, because I just couldn’t imagine what “real” would be like if this wasn’t it! However, when she checked me out, I was already dilated to 7 cm! It didn’t take too long from then till Breslin was here! Just 3 and half short hours later after getting up off of that couch, Bres was born. At 3:58 am on January 2nd, he weighed in at 7 pounds, 9 ounces. Welcome to the world, little man.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ahhhh....even though I have heard this story firsthand, I loved reading about it. I was laughing all the way through it. i love you! Bres looks great in his robe/slippers :) DUH!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!