You're Gonna Stick That Thermometer Where...?

We had a bit of a scare last night. Poor Bres had just been so tired and fussy that I finally decided to take his temperature. Now this isn't something I plan on winning the mom of the year award for, but I knew he had felt warm throughout the previous day and figured he was just getting a tooth and he would sleep it off. When I finally did take his temperature under his arm, it was a frightening 102. The kid was burning up and miserable. I gave him some Tylenol and rocked him, but I was sweating just holding him...and those of you who know me well enough know that I can put out a significant amount of sweat. :)

I called my mom because I didn't know what else to do (gosh, I hope that my kids don't expect me to know everything someday!) and she said if the fever didn't go down in a half an hour to take him into the ER. Well, it didn't go down, so we loaded him up with his blanket, stuffed frog, and juice and headed to the Oaklawn Hospital eemergency department.
When we got there, the nurse wanted to take a rectal temperature. Poor, poor Breslin. It did not look like fun. His temperature was over 104.

It didn't get much better, unfortunately. Even begin prodded with a stethoscope was traumatic. But when the shots and the bloodwork begain, the little man's face was so red from screaming that I don't think it helped his fever any.

Fortunately, I knew a lot of the staff at Oaklawn just from working there in the summers between school and before I found my teaching job, so they were very accomodating and quick. The phlebotomist that drew Breslin's blood even got everything on the first try.

The diagnosis was an ear infection with a fever (duh...). We were loaded up with all sorts of meds and prescriptions and sent home for the night. He seems so much better today, even though he has been sleeping a ton. It's such a relief.
My aunt was worried about him drinking juice out of those hard plastic sippy cups, so she bought him a cool stainless steel KleanKanteen, which seemed to brighten him up a bit today!

Comments

Megan said…
aww poor guy. Jude had the rectal temp experience. He had a stange rash that showed up and a small temperature. We too took him to the ER just to be safe. He was fine and they claimed the rash was just viral. Bres is such a litte monkey! Miss you and hope you are doing well with the other one growing in you! Hope you let us all know when the bun is done!
The Ekloves said…
We are going to be waiting for an email when Baby Girl is born! So glad to hear Bres is feeling back to his happy little self!
So glad to hear Bres is doing better. Missed you at the game on Sunday. We got there in the 5th inning, which ended then because they 10 runned them. So you didn't miss much.

Let us know if there's ANYTHING you need this week...only 4 days left!!!
Anna said…
Good to hear that Bres is doing well- I loved the video too! Take Care!
Sara said…
Poor little guy! I am glad to hear he is doing better. Ewan hasn't experienced the rectal temp, but the cat has and he didn't seem like he enjoyed it either!
Jessica said…
So how come I just now found out you have a blog, huh?! Just kidding. So glad he is feeling better now! Having a sick kiddo sucks!!!
Unknown said…
oh sad :( Thats the WORST when your kid is sick!!!

Annnndddd.... I didn't know you were having a girl! HOW FUN!!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!!!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!