Day 5 -- My Wedding Ring

I know, an odd choice for Christmas day, right?

Well, my husband proposed to me 8 years ago on Christmas day. This (for the past 8 years, anyhow) has made Christmas even more special than normal. You should know, however, that the ring that I am so thankful for today is not the same one that Colby gave me so long ago as he looked up at me from one knee and whispered, "Will you marry me?"

I haven't worn that ring since July of 2009, when I was triathlon training and it went missing during a particularly grueling training session. I had ridden my bike from my house in Albion to Lime Lake in Spring Arbor. Then I jumped in the lake for a 1 mile swim. Somewhere in that time, the ring that I so loved--the ring my husband had proposed to me with, sodered to the ring that he gave me on our wedding day--fell from my finger.

It still makes me feel as if I've been punched in the stomach every time I think of it. I frantically combed the sides of the roads between my house and Lime Lake hoping to catch the sparkle of my ring. I swam along the bottom of Lime Lake (ALL THE WAY ACROSS--TWICE) hoping that I would feel its cold hardness among the warm muck. I sobbed and shook as I told my husband that the ring he saved for so carefully and gave to me so thoughtfully could not be found. I still find myself desperately searching for it from time to time and I have to remind myself that it is gone, probably forever.

Not only was Colby not mad at all for losing the ring, but last March, at a whopping 8 and a half months pregnant, he took me to Premier Jewelers and said that we could pick out a new ring for me to wear. It's not a giant rock, like my other ring, but it's beautiful. In a way, I think it suits me better than the original. Every time I look at it, I'm reminded of my marriage to a wonderful man.

Thank God for my wedding ring!

Lord, thank you for the ring that I wear on my finger symbolizing my marriage to Colby. Thank you that we were able financially to replace the one that I lost. Thank you for my husband's understanding and forgiveness. And thank you for picking out a man who is so perfect for me to marry. In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!