Day 16 -- A New School Record

Tonight I officiated a gymnastics meet in Coldwater.    Judging is a way to keep me tied to the sport I love so much.  Tonight I judged vault and floor in Coldwater.  The last Coldwater gymnast (we'll call her K.D.) had an amazing routine.  She floated effortlessly through her jumps and leaps.  She engaged me with her choreography.  She soared in her tumbling passes so high you could drive a pick-up truck underneath her saltos!  My judging partner and I both arrived at the same score independently: 9.45.

You should have seen the look on her face when that score turned.  The crowd cheered and her smile lit up the gym!

When the score reached the table, the announcer read that K.D. had broken the school's floor record.  A wave of happiness rushed over me.  How thankful I was to be a part of that moment in K.D.'s life -- something she'll always remember!  I know, because I can still vividly picture seeing my school record-breaking floor score come up.   Jumping up and down and hugging my teammates, I couldn't even imagine that my name would be on the records wall of the athletic hallway.  And, believe it or not, it's still there -- for the time being any way.  I am so proud of that record, because I worked my tail off to break it.  But, I also look forward to the day that I can congratulate the young girl who breaks it, all the while reliving that happy night  in my mind.  Just like I did tonight.

Thank God for a new school record!

Lord, thank you for the sport of gymnastics and for the role it played in my life.  Thank you for all of the things it taught me, like self-discipline and hard-work.  Thank you for the ability you gave me to do gymnastics.  Thank you for blessing K.D. with an excellent performance tonight and for allowing me to be a part of it.  I pray that she would give you the glory and remember this night for the rest of her life.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jessica said…
That's awesome! My dad held a record for shot put at Jackson High for YEARS! Someone finally broke his record a few years back, and my dad was really happy about it. He wrote a letter to the kid, congratulating him and telling him he was glad he broke his record. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!