Day 22 -- They Might Be Giants (TMBG)

About a year ago, we stumbled upon a DVD at the Albion Public Library called "Here Come the ABC's" by a music group named "They Might Be Giants".  We figured that Breslin loved anything in the world concerning the alphabet, so how could we go wrong?  We went home and popped it in to the player.  Breslin LOVED it. 

I found myself humming along with the songs as he watched and I would have the tunes stuck in my head for days...and here's the kicker: I wasn't annoyed.  In fact, I quite enjoyed the brilliance of the lyrics and the musicality of the group.  There was even a little subtle adult/parent humor written into the songs, which I appreciated.

We realized that we had pretty much maximized our use of "Here Come the ABC's" when we returned it to the library and were told that it would be gone indefinitely for cleaning (oops).  So, life went on, until miraculously, while shopping for Breslin's birthday presents, we found a DVD of "Here Come the 123's" at the Toy House in Jackson.

TMBG did not disappoint.  The songs have incredible musical quality with imaginative lyrics, innovative harmonies, and interesting rhythms.  I happily put the entire album on my iPod.  Now, every day on the way to and from day care, we listen to the album with both Breslin and Dharia singing at the top of their lungs throughout the duration.  I even catch myself singing the tunes quietly under my breath during school.  My personal favorite has to be "7":




And then, today I found that there is a Grammy-nominated CD by They Might Be Giants: "Here Comes Science."  And do you know what?  There is even a song named "Meet the Elements." Geez.  As if I didn't love them enough already.  Guess what we'll be watching this week in chemistry class?




Thank God for They Might Be Giants!

Lord, thank you for providing us with such a high-quality educational group for Breslin that doesn't drive me crazy.  I am so grateful to have music that we can both enjoy.  I pray that it will be something we can share for many years to come.  In your name, Amen.

Comments

David R. said…
I'm not sure if you've looked deeper into TMBG (they're as old as we are), but they have some really cool stuff on their earlier "grown-up" albums. I particularly recommend "Ana Ng" from the album "Lincoln," "Birdhouse in Your Soul" and "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" from "Flood," and their song about James K. Polk. Make sure you check out the trippy video for "Birdhouse in Your Soul."
Sara said…
They have another CD for kids which Ewan loves. It's called No! and isn't annoying at all.
Dede said…
I also like "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)."

I believe they came and performed at Alma maybe my first or second year there. I had to miss it and was bummed.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!