Day 37 -- An Unexpected Gift

"Ryan" was a student in my chemistry class.  To say his life is rough would be an understatement.  His dad committed suicide when he was four years old.  Throughout the semester, he has been in trouble with the school and with the law.  He has spent time at a juvenille detention center of his involvement with the selling and usage of recreational drugs.  His home life is tumultuous, he struggles academically, and he does not always make the best choices.

Needless to say, his performance in chemistry was not stellar.  I did my best to help him when he actually did attend class, which was not regularly.  I also would compliment his lovely artwork that he covered his notebooks, folders, and assignments with.  I could understand that chemistry was not his number one priority, what with some of the things he was dealing with in his personal and home life.  Still, it made me cringe to see his grade slip, slip, sliding past the point of no return.

One day, instead of working on one of his assignments, he came up to my desk and we began to chat.  I sensed that it was important that I let him talk instead of nagging him to get back to work.  We talked about his dreams of becoming a tattoo artist.  It took everything in me to not force him into doing chemistry, but it was nice. 

Today, he came in during an off hour to have me sign his drop form.  He was leaving to go to the alternative high school.  I signed the form and said, "If you ever need anything, please let me know."  He said, "I wanted to give you these.  I thought you might want them," and dropped some notebooks he had made at the career center on my desk.  They were covered with his original artwork.

Then, he gave me a hug.  I still can't believe it.

I haven't been feeling so hot about being a teacher these past couple of weeks.  It's been lousy overall, and I have found myself wondering why I am doing this job.  I feel like this experience today was God's way of saying, "Hang in there.  This is where I want you, there are good things here."

Thank God for an unexpected gift!

Lord, thank you for this interaction that you gave me with this student today.  Thank you for revealing to me your will to be where I am and doing what I am doing.  Thank you for the lift it provided to me, the revitalization I so needed.  I pray that you will be with this young man and show yourself to him in the days ahead.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
you are very special. I'm so glad that those kids have you there. Love you...

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!