Day 54 -- Music

Today I went for a run.  As I normally do, I donned my headphones and chose one of my favorite playlists before heading out. 

It's funny how music can sometimes elicit such an emotional response from me.  Today, the first song to play was Fort Minor's "Remember the Name".  This song brought out my inner warrior princess.  All of a sudden, I was more beautiful and more powerful than I had ever been.  I flew down the streets of Albion, each step hitting the concrete in sync with the rhythm of Mike Shinodah.

My mental and emotional reliance on music can be a good or a bad thing, at least in running.  I can never seem to come up with a playlist where every song evokes that same inspired reaction.  It's bizarre.  Some songs seem like they would, but when they come on, they have just the opposite effect.  Then I have to mess with my iPod to get rid of it before I go crazy.  I have to be cautious not to get too pumped up, either.  Today, I floated through my first mile at a pace that was impossible for me to maintain throughout the rest of my run, so I was hurting by the end.  Good playlists tend to lose their potency for me over time, too, so I need to be careful not to wear them out by using the same one on every run.  Is this neurotic enough for you, or what?

Music has a way of bringing back memories, as well.  Every time that I hear Staind, I think about my wedding day and singing "So Far Away" at the top of my lungs with the windows down on the way to get my hair done.  Or how could I forget listening to The Dixie Chicks Fly album on spring break from beginning to end on the way to Myrtle Beach my senior year of high school?  Hearing any of the songs from Rent takes me back to Cleveland, where Colby and I watched in awe as the most talented group of teens I've ever seen performed the musical flawlessly.

Sometimes music moves me in a way I can't even explain.  I mean, it's obvious enough that a photo slide show is better with the right song or that a movie is more enjoyable with a great score, but sometimes, it's the simple chord progressions or harmonies of a song that can move me to tears.  Sometimes, it's the lyrics, whether they are profound or just profoundly appropriate for the time in my life in which I'm hearing them.

Whenever I start to contemplate the impact music can have on me, I always think about one of my favorite songs of all time ("Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind) which says:

I believe in the sand beneath my toes,

The beach gives a feeling,
An earthy feeling,
I believe in the faith that grows,
And the four right chords can make me cry,
When I'm with you I feel like I could die.
And that would be all right,
All right.

Even though I can't even quite explain it myself, I'm thankful for my emotional connection to music that the Lord has given me.  It adds a new dimension to my experiences and allows me to feel things I'm sure I wouldn't otherwise.

Thank God for Music!

Lord, thank you for the gift of music.  Thank you for the emotions it brings out in me and for the memories it recalls.  Thank you for using it to speak to me and please continue to do so.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Suzanne Gibbs said…
I'm so enjoying your blog!!! Thanks for inspiring me! I love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!