Day 55 -- My Best Friend

I was bound and determined that my post today was NOT going to be Valentine's Day related.  It was too predictable, unoriginal.

But, then my husband had to be so unbelievable wonderful, that I had to be thankful for this man who is without a doubt both the love of my life and my best friend. 

I know, life is rough, right?

Just over 8 years ago, my husband proposed to me.  I was sitting on the couch, and he got down on one knee and and in a small, shaky voice asked me to marry him.  After I said "yes", we danced to what we now thing of as "our song" with tears streaming down our faces, and throats too tight to talk.  All we could do was hold each other tight and listen to the words of Tim McGraw:

I never had no one
I could count on
I've been let down so many times
I was tired of hurtin'
So tired of searchin'
'Til you walked into my life
It was a feelin'
I'd never known
And for the first time
I didn't feel alone


You're more than a lover
There could never be another
To make me feel the way you do
Oh we just get closer
I fall in love all over
Every time I look at you
I don't know where I'd be
Without you here with me
Life with you makes perfect sense
You're my best friend


You stand by me
And you believe in me
Like nobody ever has
When my world goes crazy
You're right there to save me
You make me see how much I have
And I still tremble
When we touch
And oh the look in your eyes
When we make love

You're more than a lover
There could never be another
To make me feel the way you do
Oh we just get closer
I fall in love all over
Every time I look at you
And I don't know where I'd be
Without you here with me
Life with you makes perfect sense
You're my best friend


When I got home tonight, my husband got down on his knees and pulled out a box containing this ring.  I was sitting on the same couch I was sitting on 8 years ago when he slipped this ring on my finger tonight and whispered "I love you!"

Delicate Moissanite and Recycled 14k White Gold Ring, Made To Order
This is my new wedding ring, but mine is in white gold!

Colby had been making several trips to the jewelry store this past month to replace stones that were falling out of my old-new wedding band (if that statement makes no sense at all to you, see Day 5 -- My Wedding Ring), so he decided to replace it permanently with this one. It's so beautiful and I feel that it fits me so perfectly well.  He found it from an artist who creates each ring individually, using fair trade gems and fair trade, ecologically friendly metals. 

Of course, getting a beautiful ring on Valentine's Day is not your typical, run-of-the-mill happening at the Sharp household.  This was a fantastic surprise. 

I'm thankful for my new ring and what is, undoubtedly, my best Valentine's Day ever.  But what I am more thankful for is that I have my best friend with me through thick and thin on every other day.  When the glitz and glamour of this romantic holiday have passed, when the cards are all 50% off, after the flowers are dead and thrown out, I will still have the love of my life by my side.  Life with him makes perfect sense.

I fervently believe that God gave me Colby.  He is without a doubt, my handpicked-by-God, honest-to-goodness soul mate.

Thank God for My Best Friend.

Lord, there are so many reasons to be grateful for my husband.  I thank you tonight that he is my best friend.  I thank you that he was so thoughtful and generous in his Valentine's Day gift.  Thank you for hand-selecting him for me.  Help me to love him like you love me and to never take him for granted.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Barb said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!