Day 69 -- Bedtime Prayer

At my bridal shower for Dharia, my pastor's wife and good friend gave me a very wise piece of advice that I will never forget.  She told me to pray with my children, not just for them.  In the past couple of weeks, I have been trying to do this with both of the older two kids.  Before bed, I have been asking Breslin what he is thankful for.  When he gives me his answer, he prays a short, simple prayer thanking Jesus for whatever it is that he has decided to be thankful for that day.  Then, I pray with him, re-thanking my Father for this as well, thanking him for my Breslin, and whatever else is on my heart at the moment.  It's really a lovely way to end the day with my son.  Actually, it would be a lot lovelier if he actually went to bed after this.  Lately, he seems to think this means he is entitled to get up and walk downstairs about five times before it's really bed time.  Very predictable, mildly annoying.

Anyway, tonight, Breslin was thankful for the story "Jack and the Beanstalk".  It's always somewhat of a wild card as to what he will choose.  It ranges from very serious ("my family") to borderline hilarious (last night it was "the power to read!").  When he finished his prayer, he turned to me and said, "Mommy, we just made Jesus so happy." 

For a second, I just sat there and blinked at my son, who seems to be significantly more intuitive than I am when it comes to these things.  I didn't think of it as something that would make Jesus happy.  More often than not, when I am doing these posts, or praying with my kids, or biting my tongue from saying something nasty (something I've been working really, really hard on lately), or struggling my way through a devotional, I think of it as something I should do, not something that makes Jesus happy.  But it does, right?  It's hard to imagine that I could do anything that would make Jesus happy.  Most of the time it feels like I'm just screwing everything up, desperately trying to measure up to some impossible standard. 

It was an amazing realization when my son helped me to see that the simple act of being thankful makes God happy.  We can't be perfect, but we can try to do the things that will make him happy.  Does this blog make him happy?  Well, the writing isn't great.  The idea isn't even original.  But I can say with conviction that it has given me a different perspective.  It has made me more appreciative of all of I have.  I am now constantly on the lookout for things to be thankful for, which helps me to put a more positive spin on pretty much all I see and do.  The blog isn't what makes him happy, but I hope the desire to be better, to be more thankful, to be more like Him (even if we both know it will never actually happen) does. 

Thank God for bedtime prayer!

Lord, it's still hard for me to believe that I can make you happy.  Thank you that we can make you happy through our daily, small decisions.  Help me to keep this perspective in my everyday life.  I want to make you happy through my life.  Thank you for the insight my four year old shared with me tonight.  I feel blessed that you speak to me in so many ways, and I am honored that you value me enough to speak to me.  Thank you, Lord.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

MikeandJen said…
and now i have the super why theme song stuck in my head :) i think levi and bres would be friends. levi is crazy obsessed with letters, his two favorite shows are super why and word world :)
what a blessing!
april. said…
you make me cry a little. love you my friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!