Day 77 -- Unique Name Day

Did you know that today is officially "Unique Name Day"?  That's right, it's today's bona fide holiday, along with Mardi Gras and Pancake Day.  I know this because each and every weekday, I log on to www.brownielocks.com to see what the day's official holidays are.  Then I pick my favorite and write it up on the board in my classroom underneath the date.  The students get a kick out of it.  Okay, they might just find it mildly amusing, but sometimes that's the best I can do.

Today being "Unique Name Day" got me to thinking about my own name, my husband's name, and my kids' names.  I am thankful that we all fall underneath what I consider to be the "unique name" category.  I always appreciated having a name that was different growing up and wanted my kids to be able to enjoy the same feeling.

I have had a lot of people ask me where I got my kids' names from, so perhaps I'll take a moment to explain that here:

Breslin:  This name comes literally from the Breslin Center, where the Michigan State Spartan basketball team plays their home games.  My husband has always been a die-hard State fan.  When Breslin was 1 month old, we got a picture of him in the Breslin Center laying on the big Michigan State S at center court and another one of him being held by Mark Dantonio.  Breslin's actual name is Robert Breslin Sharp.  The  first born Sharp boys are all named Robert Something.  Colby goes by his middle name, so we thought it would be cool if Breslin did the same.
BresMay2007 (16)
Baby Breslin, May 2007, 5 months


Dharia: When we were close to having Dharia, we still had not come up with a name for her.  Then, one day, my husband came home from school and told me a story about jumping in a dumpster to help one of his favorite fourth graders find her retainer that she had accidentally thrown away.  At the end of the story, he said to me, "You know, I probably wouldn't have done that for just any student, but I love this one."  I asked him what her name was and presto -- we had our Dharia.  Her middle name (Lou) comes from her Uncle Louie (Colby's little brother).

December 2008 007
Baby Dharia, December 2008, 5 months


Adelai: Colby and I went on a date to a coffeehouse one night while I was pregnant with AJ and heard a guitar player sing a song about a girl named Adelai.  The song was so beautiful that I was smitten with the name.  Her middle name, Joy, comes from my maternal grandmother's name, Joyce. 


Baby Adelai, August 2010, 4 months

You think long and hard about what your kids' names will be someday, and I'm so grateful that I had the chance to give each of my children a name that I love.  Some people might say they are unique names.  Some people might say they are different names.  Some people might just say they are weird names.  But I think that each name is a perfect fit.  And for that, I am grateful.
Thank God for Unique Name Day!

Lord, thank you for my kids and for their unique names.  Thank you for letting me think about their names and how we came up with them today.  Thank you for my name, and for my parents who were cool enough to pick it out for me.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Their names are beautiful and very fitting. You get an A+ for names!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!