Day 85 -- Joan Boyer

Joan Boyer owned and operated the Joan Boyer School of Dance and Gymnastics for 52 years before she retired in 2008.  I started my gymnastics career at one of her day camps held at Lumen Christi High School.  After a parent-teacher conference in which my parents were told that I needed to expend more energy outside of school, I was enrolled in the week-long dance and gymnastics camp and fell in love.  At the end of every session, we had to run a full lap around the indoor track.  When we made the full circuit, there were Popsicles waiting for us.  To this day, when I walk into Lumen's gym, I think of Popsicles.

After my summer camp experience, I quickly became a student at the Joan Boyer School of Dance and Gymnastics.  I worked my way up through the ranks and was a member of the Rainbow Team, where I got my first taste of what real competitive gymnastics was like.  I remember Joan teaching us 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th positions, patiently showing us how to do a chaine turn(pronounced "shin-ay"), and walking us through the Level 4 floor routine.  I can see the look on her face when I did my first back handspring and her clapping her hands when I finally learned how to do a front walkover.

They buried Joan today.  She died this past Friday after a long fight with ovarian cancer.  I will never forget her or the tremendous impact she has had on my life.  Without her, I never would have gotten started in gymnastics or learned to love the dance aspect of the sport that is so crucial to doing it well.  I will always remember her positive attitude and zest for life, as well as her seriousness and utmost respect for the sport.  I am so grateful for her life and the way that she touched so many other girls like me.

Thank God for Joan Boyer!

Lord, thank you for this special lady and for the way that she impacted my life for the better.  I pray that you would be with her family during this difficult time.  Please comfort them and bring them peace.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
Joan was one of a kind, and had a huge impact on gymnastics in our area. She will be missed...
Kell said…
I was so sad to hear about this in the paper. She was such a remarkable lady. I still remember our warm-up routine to Amy Grant!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!