Day 89 -- Sunday Nights

Sunday nights haven't always been something that I have been thankful for, but I am tonight.

Colby and I began dating when he was finishing his senior year in high school.  After I graduated, I left Parma for Alma, Michigan, and Colby attended Western Michigan University in Kalamzoo.  We embarked upon a long-distance relationship, which became increasingly more difficult the more serious our relationship became. 

By the time that I was a junior at Alma, Sunday nights were awful.  Colby and I had gotten to the point where we spent every weekend together, and Sunday nights symbolized the end of our time together and the beginning of another long week away from one another.

One of our favorite songs during our dating days was "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys, which said, "You know it's gonna make it that much better/When we can say good night and stay together/Wouldn't it be nice if we could wake up/In the morning when the day is new/After having spent the day together/Hold each other close the whole night through". 

We used to hold each other on the weekends and dream of a world where Sundays didn't mean goodbye.  At our wedding, I managed to keep my emotions in check, until Colby leaned in to me and whispered, "No more Sunday nights".  I was so happy, that I instantly burst into tears. :)

These days, it seems like Sundays are more hectic than romantic, with piles of laundry and hours of grading and planning for the upcoming school week.  It's been a while since I realized how different and wonderful they are now than they used to be when I was in college. 

It's easy to dread Sundays because they do mean that another busy week is about to begin.  But, tonight I am so thankful that no matter how crazy it gets, I will go to bed and wake up with the love of my life and my best friend. 

Thank God for Sunday nights!

Lord, thank you that Sunday nights no longer mean loneliness and sadness.  Thank you for my husband and for the fact that even when things are busy we are able to spend these moments together.  Help me to cherish this time and not take it for granted.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
How wonderful...
Anonymous said…
I cry everytime I read this one. So touching. Love you guys

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!