Day 99 -- The Bathroom Floor

I know it sounds crazy, but tonight I'm thankful for my bathroom floor. 

When we moved into our house almost four years ago, both of the bathrooms were complete eyesores.  Both had carpet.  The upstairs bathroom had curtains that had the same print as the wallpaper and the ceiling paper...yes, you read that right.  There was wallpaper on the ceiling too.  The downstairs bathroom wasn't really much better.  In addition to the carpeting, it was filthy and painted an obnoxious yellow.

The evolution of the downstairs bathroom has been a gradual move toward acceptability.  First, we replaced the yellow paint job with a nice tan.  A nice shower curtain from Ikea and some window treatments and we were nearly finished.  But, sadly, there was still the carpet to deal with.  So, we ripped that up and put in vinyl flooring.  At first, the vinyl flooring was great, but not long after it went in, it began buckling and peeling in several places, leaving a very cold concrete floor exposed.  The floor became something I obsessed about.  I hated it every time I had to look at it, which was several times a day.

Around Thanksgiving, my father-in-law helped Colby to put in a hardwood floor.  Sometimes, like tonight, I will turn on the light and be expecting carpet, or peeling vinyl, or concrete, and be completely surprised to see a beautiful, pristine wood floor.  It reminds me how lucky I am to have a house that I have the opportunity to refresh, restore, and in which to incorporate my own personal style and taste (which obviously differed greatly from the previous owners'). 

Thank God for the bathroom floor!

Lord, thank you for the opportunity to work on our house and make it ours.  Thank you for teaching me that even small things like the bathroom floor can be a blessing.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!