Day 107 -- Stupid Bike Ride

Today I went on a stupid bike ride.  It was stupid for so many reasons:

It was cold. 

It was windy. 

It was long. 

It was hilly. 

I had to ride over a zillion potholes. 

My butt hurt. 

My legs hurt. 

It was boring.

I almost got hit by a car.

I got honked at by a car.

I almost got hit by a truck.

I had already worked out in the morning by swimming, yet here I was, busting my butt on the bike when I could haven been at home with my family.

Do you agree yet that it was stupid?

At so many points on this ride, I wanted to quit.  I kept turning in different directions, waiting for the wind to be at my back instead of in my face, but it never happened.  I tried to call my husband to come get me, but I didn't have my phone.

But, I finished the ride, by the grace of God.  I did not get blown away by the wind.  My legs did not fall off.  I was not hit by a car.  I arrived at home a little grumpy and a lot cold and for that I am grateful.  I am so thankful that I finished the stupid bike ride.  It is over.  At least for today.

My half-Ironman training officially started this week and it has been a rude awakening, to put it mildly.  I thought that I was in pretty decent shape coming in, but apparently I was mistaken.  I get a day off tomorrow, and I am so ready to enjoy it fully.  When I read the description of my training for today, it said that this week was all about mental toughness -- getting through the workouts despite how good or bad you are feeling and completing them even in less-than-perfect weather.  If nothing else, maybe this stupid bike ride helped to develop my mental toughness.  Maybe by week 20 I will be one of those hard-core cyclists who relish riding in the cold and wind.  Maybe the stupid bike ride will be the invigorating and enjoyable bike ride...who knows?

At the very least I have to be grateful that I have an awesome bike, the physical ability to ride it, and the opportunity and time to go on a bike ride.  Even though I didn't enjoy the ride itself, the feeling of accomplishment was worth all of the stupid parts.

Thank God for the stupid bike ride!

Lord, thank you for taking something that felt stupid and turning it into an opportunity to be reminded of all of the blessings in my life.  Thank you for helping me to finish my ride today safely.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!