Day 133 -- Play All Day

One of Dharia's favorite phrases lately has been used at bed time when we ask her if she is ready for bed.

"No, mommy.  I wanna play all day."

It really is terribly cute.

As a kid, you do anything to not have to go to bed, it seems.  Breslin is in the habit of making himself run laps around the living room when he's really tired because as soon as he sits down, he starts to crash.  In my mind, this is his equivalent of sticking your face out of the car window to stay awake while driving.

As an adult, I tend to think more along the lines of what I could do to make it so that I can go to bed, or at least have to do as little as possible. Perhaps I need to adopt a philosophy more in line with that of my daughter.  When was the last time that I "played" at anything?  When was the last time that a weekday night was not an exercise in exhaustion and tedium?

My daughter is very wise in this regard.  She plays with reckless abandon, savoring every last minute of precious freedom before we scoop her into bed.  Tonight I am thankful for her mindset.  After hearing her proclamation tonight, I decided to take some time that I would normally use to tune out to an episode on TV or take a bath away from my family, and play with Breslin.  He was participating in a learning game on-line.  We had a blast.

Unfortunately for me, it was also very exhausting.  I definitely am not in "play all day" shape yet, since I could barely muscle my way through a partial-evening play session.  I'm thankful that Dharia helped me to make the decision to play instead of totally veg out.  The fact remains that the clock is ticking on these days that I have to play with my kids.  I needed to be reminded of that tonight. 

And with that, I'm going to wrap this post up so that I can go to bed.

Thank God for play all day!

Lord, thank you for my daughter and for the funny and sometimes-wise things she says.  Help me to remember the importance of playing, even when I am tired.  Help me realized that these days of play will not last forever and to take advantage of the time I have to play with my children.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
Cool point of view.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!