Day 141 -- 1 Corinthians 15:58

"So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and steady, always enthusiastic about the Lord's work, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless."

Sometimes I need a reminder that my job is not about the joy or pride it brings me.  It is not about how good I am or how bad I am at it.  It is not about how great the kids are or how difficult they can be.  It is not about the friends I have on staff or the frustratingly negative attitudes I find myself surrounded by on a daily basis (including my own).  In short, it is simply something that God has asked me to do.  It's my calling and mission field and my career and livelihood all in one.  Sometimes I get so downhearted about my work.  I feel discouraged because it often seems as though what I am doing isn't making a lick of difference in anybody's life.  I am thankful for this verse today, because I needed to be reminded of the fact that nothing I do for the Lord is useless.  When I start making it about me (how good it makes me feel or how proud I am of what I am doing) or the kids (how ridiculous/immature/whiny/lazy/make-me-wanna-light-myself-on-fire they can be) that's not necessarily true.

The second reason I am thankful for this verse is that it reminds me, once again, that the only thing I have control over here is my attitude and choices.  Therefore, I committed to making the choice daily to be strong and steady and enthusiastic, or at least pretend to be from this day to the end of the school year.  I know that this will prove to be extremely difficult, but I want to make this change in obedience.

Thank God for 1 Corinthians 15:58!

Lord, thank you for reminding me what this job is all about.  Help me to commit to being strong and steady and enthusiastic about your work at school from this point to the end of the year.  I will definitely need your help.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!