Day 194 -- Horton Street Dance

Every 4th of July weekend for as long as I have dated/been married to Colby, the little town of Horton, Michigan has a street dance.  On the street in front of the town park, my favorite local variety band, Act III, sets up on a giant trailer -- hello, small town America!  There, people gather with lawnchairs, drinks, and snacks to listen to the music.  The youngest and bravest dance.  The older and more self-conscious wish they were dancing.  The kids can play on the awesome playground while the adults can sing along to familiar songs with a beat that just dares you to not shake it a little.  We attended the street dance tonight with the three children and, as expected, had a great time.  All three loved the playground, and I even got the two girls to dance with me for a quite a while.  AJ mesmerized the crowd with her enthusiasm for the music and her dance skills.  Dharia was a little shy, surprisingly, but eventually showcased some of her finer moves.  They even had some kids' carnival games set up this year.  My favorite was the Frog Fling, in which you loaded fake rubber frogs onto a catapult and aimed for a kiddie pool filled with water and lillipads.  If you got the frog in the pool, you won a prize.  If you hit a lillipad in the pool, you won an even better prize.  There was a also a kid-sized Plinko-type game, which Breslin adored. 

Summer is here.  Summer is great.  I have spent so much quality, fun time with my kids, and I am not taking a single moment for granted.  I am so thankful for yet another opportunity to make memories with my family tonight at this fun, annual event -- something I look forward to every year.

Thank God for the Horton Street Dance!

Lord, thank you for blessing our time together and for giving us the opportunity to have fun at the Horton Street Dance.  Thank you for the good music and the awesome atmosphere.  Thank you for another chance for my kids to be outside playing and for another experience we got to share as a family.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!