Day 197 -- An Interesting Question

Tonight we got home relatively late from a stint out at the Cascades Falls Park, watching Act III play again.  Colby and I were bustling around, trying to get the kids' jammies on, teeth brushed, and in bed.  Breslin usually chooses this time to, ahem, take care of business on the potty as well.  I was getting frustrated, because he was taking his sweet time.  All I wanted was to get him in to bed so I could crash on the couch for a few minutes with my feet up.  The conversation went something like this:

Me: Breslin, are you all done?  We need to get you to bed, buddy.

Breslin: Not yet Mommy! (Grunts)

Time passes in relative silence. 

Me: Okay, dude.  Let's wipe and wash our hands, okay?

Breslin: Mommy, I'm not done, though.

Me: Okay, well, let's finish up!

Breslin: Okay, mommy, I will.

Time passes in relative silence.

Me: Done yet, bud?

Breslin: Nope.

Me: Do you think you will be soon?

Breslin: Nope.

Me: Do you still have to go some more?

Breslin: Yep.

I am skeptical at this point, because I know he's gone...how can he still need to go?  Time passes.

Me: Okay, Breslin, you're done now, right?

Breslin: Nope. Long pause. Mommy...why do I keep poopin?

Me: (laughing) I don't know, sweetie!

It was so nice to laugh with Breslin.  I was getting frustrated, and his interesting question was just the comic relief I needed.  He did manage to finish shortly thereafter, and the the remainder of the bed time routine went smoothly, indeed, with both of us smiling and laughing.

Thank God for an interesting question!

Lord, thank you for my son.  Thank you for his sense of humor.  Thank you for the chance to laugh tonight when things were seeming difficult and frustrating.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
cracks me up!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!