Day 206 -- Garage Sales


I was a bit of a snot in my younger days. 

I thought, "I will NEVER buy my kids stuff at a garage sale."

I pictured them running around in pristine, matching outfits purchased from Carter's, nary a runny nose or a grass stain in the lot.

And then, I actually had kids.

In my journey towards greater enlightenment, I have realized that garage sales are pretty much just the best thing ever when you have a lot of small children.

Here are my top reasons why in a bulleted list:

  • Why buy something that costs a lot of money when there are good odds it will be thrown up on/pooped on/red Kool-aid spilled-on/and otherwise generally rendered unfit even for donation to Goodwill?
  • Why buy something that costs a lot of money when they will wear it for maybe 6 months?
  • Why buy something at a store that is logically placed in its corresponding department when you can discover it beneath piles of junk that have no organization whatsoever?  Every piece that I find is like a rescued treasure.  It's true that garage sales bring out the American Picker in me.
  • I don't like to haggle at all, but I think that a lot of people do.  It's fun to see Colby do it.
  • I get a  little thrill from seeing how much stuff I can buy with just a little cash.  It's like a challenge to see how much loot you can walk away from sale with carrying in just a couple bucks.
  • They are Earth-friendly.  Hello -- "reuse" is the second R, right?
  • They are budget friendly.  When we need to buy Breslin winter boots, but we find some at a garage sale for $1, that frees up money to put other things in the budget, like swim lessons or an extra date night.

Today, I took Dharia to a sale I happened to see on the way to the grocery store.  I bought her a pair of ridiculously cute brown clogs for fall that will look great with dresses and tights.  I also bought her a down vest with Minnie Mouse on it and a pair of pants.  Her favorite purchase of the entire trip, however, was a box of Disney Princess valentines that we took home for 25 cents.  Inside were glitter tattoos.  You can't beat the fun we had together for just a few dollars.

I love garage sales!  Thank God for them!

Lord, thank you for garage sales.  Thank you for the fun Dharia and I had together shopping at a garage sale.  Thank you that it is the season for garage sales!  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!