Day 223 -- Roadside Sweet Corn

Tonight I had a meeting with the athletic director and other fall sports coaches at WHS to gear up for the upcoming fall sports season.  Cross-country is coming!

I will be honest.  I wasn't really thrilled about it.

I have been in a funk all day, what with it being August and all.  Seeing the calendar flip to August is tangible evidence that summer is coming to an end.  And even though you might think that I have a whole month of summer left, with cross-country starting the 10th, teacher in-service days at the end of the month, and the inevitable brain activity that begins to whir inside my head thinking about what/how to best teach, well...this month just doesn't have that pure summer feel any more.  It's purely psychological, but August 1st always poses a bit of a problem for me.

This didn't make attending that meeting any more appealing, let me tell you.

But, attend I did.  And I dropped Breslin off at the Sharps' to swim and have fun while I was gone, since Colby had to take Dharia to gymnastics in Battle Creek.

On the way home, after picking up Breslin, I remembered something that I love about the beginning of August -- sweet corn!  It makes a brief, but delicious appearance only at this time of year.  On our way back down Erie Road towards home, we passed a house selling boatloads by the side of the road.  We pulled over and got 12 ears for only $3!  I love sweet corn, but my kids LOVE sweet corn.  We'll have nothing but sweet corn for the next couple of days, savoring every bite while we can .  It really perked me up.

Thank God for roadside sweet corn!

Lord, thank you for good, fresh food.  Thank you for sending something so simple to cheer me up today.  Please be with me this month and help me to be positive, looking forward to all that lies ahead in the upcoming school year.  Help me to cherish every moment that remains of this summer.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Suzanne Gibbs said…
Yum!!! I can just imagine how each of your kids eats it, too! And that makes me smile! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!