Day 224 -- The S-10

The S-10 truck was out and about today.  Since the purchase of the mini-van nearly three years ago (it coincided with Dharia's birth), the little green truck has been relegated to the side of the garage, where it has basically become a backup vehicle.  It also makes appearances if we need to do any light hauling, like brush to the compost center or recycling to the recycling center or other things to other centers.  I guess it doesn't have to be to a center, necessarily.

I was thankful for the S-10 tonight, because it was dutifully fulfilling its role as backup vehicle while the van was getting its front end worked on (by none other than the fabulous Rob Sharp).  It was a present to me on my 18th birthday from my Grandpa Stuart, who gave it to me as a surprise at my birthday dinner.  Since then, it has seen many adventures, such as:
  • It made it all the way to Grayling, Michigan for Colby's first canoeing experience.
  • It took nearly all of the freshmen on the Alma Soccer team to our first practice together (they rode in the back bed while I drove). 
  • I has made several trips to the Capri Drive-In.
  • It has brought 8 Christmas trees home (to wherever home happened to be at the time).
  • It survived rolling into the median on an icy day on US 127 North near Leslie.
  • It helped Colby and I move six times in the first four years of our marriage.
  • It took a piano to a stranger's house during a "Free Garage Sale" event at which Colby and I volunteered.
  •  It was broken into by a rather desperate criminal while parked in my church's parking lot.
  •  It took Breslin to the County Clerk's Office to pick up his birth certificate.
 Sure, it may have been embarrassing to drive up to the Parma Ice Cream drive-through window in the S-10, with its loud, smelly exhaust, but the fact of the matter is that I feel blessed to have a vehicle that we can rely on to get us through situations where our other vehicles are out of commission.  A lot of people don't have one dependable vehicle, let alone a backup vehicle that is as tried and true as my truck.  That fact, combined with its sentimental value makes the S-10 a blessing for which I am very thankful.

Thank God for the S-10!

Lord, thank you for the truck.  Thank you for its dependability through all these years and for its ability to get us where we need to go when our other vehicles cannot.  Thank you for my grandfather, who was so generous to give it to me.  Please help me to be content with what I have, not taking anything for granted.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!