Day 228 -- MACUL Grant

I won a grant from the Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning!  In the spring of this year, I traveled to Detroit with a group of teachers to learn from other teachers ways to successfully integrate technology into their classrooms in a way that enhances the quality and effectiveness of learning.  It was one of those experiences where I started to get so excited about the possibilities that I was literally shaking with excitement during a couple of the sessions, frantically writing down notes and websites, eager to incorporate what I'd learned into my own classes.

My dream started by dividing my classroom into groups one day after teaching them about net ionic equations.  It was clear after day one that one group of students in my classes mastered the content immediately and did not require any further explanation or practice.  A second group I identified as needing a bit more practice and reinforcement before they would have it mastered.  A third group needed the material retaught to them in a different way before attempting more practice.  I split the classroom into these three groups that I identified.  I had the second group simply work on more practice problem with a solution key, so that they could see their progress.  I used a different technique with the third group.  And the first group I asked to shoot videos of themselves solving the problems to post online.  Here's an example of what I got:
 
http://sharp.whs.westernschools.schoolfusion.us/modules/podcast/showPodcast.phtml?profile_id=64776&podcast_id=81366&sessionid=20d66b87ae6f2852159054796a0bf341
 
I was excited to incorporate this with a new grading system that I was also geeked about, called SBG -- Standards-Based Grading (if you really want to know more, this website is sort of my go-to for all things SBG and my pump up speech for when I feel ready to just throw in the towel on it: http://shawncornally.com/wordpress/?page_id=114)
 
All of this led to me writing a ridiculously long, extremely thoroughly grant application for a fairly competitive grant.  Did I mention I have never applied for a grant before?
 
I asked for six iPod touches with enough money left over to buy the requisite screen protectors and cases.  My vision is that these iPod touches will be loaners to students who don't have access to the Internet at home.  When they are stuck on their practice problems, or just bombed Learning Target 4.5 ("Convert the number of molecules of a compound into a mass in grams using the compound's molar mass."), they don't have to just throw up their hands in frustration.  Rather, they can watch a short video tutorial produced by either myself or their classmates that can get them back on track.  The point is that they actually LEARN what they feel or demonstrate themselves to be deficient in (content-wise) instead of giving up or just copying their homework from a friend.  Now, I can provide the specific help to students that they need outside of normal school hours.  I have six iPod touches in my classroom!  I am so excited to see the possibilities that this opens up in my classroom.  I desperately want to improve the way in which I teach and I think that these iPods have a lot of potential to be a powerful instrument of positive change.
 
I am so thankful that I won this grant from MACUL!
 
Lord, thank you for helping me to write this grant.  Thank you for blessing me in making the judges decide to give me the money.  Help me to use it wisely and to continue to be passionate about my ideas for changing the way I teach.  Help me to learn and be flexible; help me not be afraid to fall flat on my face in the process.  Please help me to remember that everything I do should be to help my students for your glory.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Barb said…
Congratulations!!
april. said…
So proud.
Miztech said…
Alaina, you make us proud (MACUL that is). I hope you will go a step further and document what you've learned by participating in the MACUL SIGPL Action Research Award. You can learn more about it at sigpl.org. The award could buy another iTouch or two or a special techie toy for classroom.

Congrats!!!
Suzanne Gibbs said…
WAY TO GO!!! I'm so proud of you!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!