Day 234 -- Stranger's Kindness

I had an intimidating experience at the Steelhead Athlete Check-In today.  I got my registration packet and attended the mandatory pre-race meeting at St. Joseph High School. 

I must have looked bewildered during the announcer's brief description of how the aid stations on the bike course would work.  I sure felt bewildered.

Around me were a sea of svelte, determined, and experienced-looking triathletes.  I felt like I was back in Algebra II again, not wanting to ask an obvious question and look dumb in front of everyone.  One lady next to me actually had interactive course maps up on her iPad while the announcer was going over the details of the course.  Yeesh.

So, naturally I waited until the very end when he was all done and had answered all of the brave people's questions.  My plan was to go up and ask privately about the bike aid stations.  Apparently, several others had unanswered questions, because nearly 50 peopled bum rushed the front when he was finished.

"Oh well," I thought.  "I can always look it up on YouTube."

But, a very normal-looking and pleasant lady was walking next to me on my way out.  I took a deep breath and asked, "Can you explain to me how the bike aid stations work?"

She was so very kind and helped to alleviate much of my anxiety, not only about the aid stations but about the race in general.  As you can probably tell by this narrative, striking up conversations with intimidating strangers in not one of my favorite things to do.  I was so thankful for the sincere willingness to help that this stranger demonstrated to me today.  She was a blessing because of her patient explanation.  She didn't make me feel dumb at all.  In fact, her enthusiasm for the race was infectious.  After talking to her, I felt ready to take on the bike course right then and there!

Thank God for a stranger's kindness!

Lord, thank you for helping me get to St. Joe and back safely today.  Thank you for the kindness of this woman, who helped me to feel better about this race.  Please help me to reciprocate that to others who may need a word of guidance or encouragement when I see the opportunity.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!