Day 252 -- Innovative

Someone called me "innovative" today at one of our professional development meetings.  It was just an off-handed remark, but I was totally floored, nonetheless.  I am pretty sure that's the first time I have ever been described by that word.  I have never considered myself to be a super creative person or an outside-of-the-box thinker, so I am not sure how accurate of a claim it was by this colleague, but it made me feel pretty awesome today. 

And while I would not say that I am necessarily super innovative, I am super stoked about a lot of the new things that I will be trying this school year.  I have standards-based grading to tackle in my classroom, I am one of the new student council co-advisors, I am doing a research project with iPod touches that I won through a grant, and I am helping to implement "Power Play" (which is an intervention and enrichment initiative that we created in our building).  There are a ton of exciting things happening in at Western High School and I am thrilled to be a part of it all, although at times it can seem more than a bit overwhelming.  So, focusing on the positives, like getting to be called "innovative" instead of some less-desirable adjective, makes it all seem more manageable and prevents the "I am so stressed out I feel like I am going to throw up a little bit" feelings from surfacing.

It's amazing how a tiny bit of encouragement can mean so much at the right time.

Thank God for innovative!

Lord, thank you for the words that a colleague used to boost my spirit today.  Help me to remember this blessing and pass it forward in the upcoming days and weeks.  Thank you for all of the exciting things this school year is presenting.  Help me to approach them as opportunities.  Please give me your strength to remain positive when it all starts to seem overwhelming.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Suzanne Gibbs said…
I would totally agree with your co-worker: you're an innovator and you have the ability to gain a following! You're pretty amazing!!! I'm so very proud of you!!! And I miss you tons.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!