Day 265 -- Dear Mrs. Sharp...

I tried something new this year for one of those awkward first week of school activities, and to be honest, I wasn't sure how it would turn out.  The assignment was called "Dear Mrs. Sharp" and in it, I gave my students several prompts to address in a letter to me.  These prompts included identifying what they thought of as their strengths and weaknesses, telling me what they loved for teachers to do and what they hated for teachers to do, describing how they learned the best and what didn't work for them, and anything else that they wanted for me to know.  I always do some sort of thing to get to know my students, but this was the first time I had them format it as a letter and was the first time I ventured into some pretty personal material.  Not necessarily comfortable ground for a high school science teacher (we leave all that touchy-feely stuff to the English teacher, in general). :)

Responses ranged from bare bones to two pages of typed material.  Most were pretty lengthy, which I was not expecting.  Frankly, I was surprised at how open and honest they were with me within the letter.  Some of the answers were to be expected (i.e. "I hate it when teachers give us homework"), but many struck me as quite profound.  As a result of reading all of the letters through one time, I feel like I already know my students better than I ever have at this point in the year.

I try out new things a lot in my classroom.  Sometimes they completely flop, so I'm always thankful (and relieved) when there is a positive outcome.  Even though it was worth no points, a huge percentage of students completed and turned in the assignment, so either these students are a compliant sort, or they didn't mind doing it.  I'm so thankful for this opportunity to get to know my students.

Thank God for Dear Mrs. Sharp...

Okay, that kind of sounds like I'm thankful for myself. 

Thank God for the "Dear Mrs. Sharp" assignment!

Okay, that's much better.

Lord, thank you for the way this assignment worked out.  Thank you for the positive way in which most of the students responded and for the chance I have to learn more about them and reach them more effectively.  Help me to make the most of that opportunity and to show my interest and enthusiasm for the unique and interesting people they are.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!