Day 326 -- West Side Story

Tonight I got to see West Side Story at the Wharton Center on the campus of Michigan State University.  This was the first musical I ever loved.  As a kid, I watched the movie over and over, listened to the songs on cassette tape and eventually on CD, and drove everyone in my family nuts singing the songs loud and dramatically.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to finally see it live! 

The reason I got to go in the first place was because my mom had an extra ticket, as Bob is in the UP at deer camp.  So I was her "date" for the evening.  My brother and sister-in-law went too, so I'm also thankful that I got the chance to hang out with my family tonight, and not just because my brother bought me a chocolate Toblerone bar at the concession stand before the show started. 

The guy to our right hacked up loogies the entire performance and asked if it was over after every song, and the lady on our left rocked her chair so much when she shifted that we all moved with her, but that couldn't take away anything from hearing Tony and Maria sing "Tonight" on center stage.  It was magical and I'm thrilled that I was blessed enough to be there.

Thank God for West Side Story!

God, thank you for the chance to see this amazing musical tonight and for the chance to be with some very special people at the same time.  Thank you for music and the unique opportunity it provides to experience emotion.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
My favorite musical score...glad you guys got to go!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!