Day 344 -- Home

I said to myself when I started this (almost a year ago, holy smokes!) that I would not allow repeats.  Every day offered something unique to be thankful for, and I would acknowledge that by choosing something new and different for which to be grateful for daily.

And, wouldn't you know it, I used up the opportunity to be thankful for a snow day nearly right off the bat when Snowpacalypse 2011 hit.

I am still thankful that I was able to be home today.  There's no denying that.  I still believe that the snow day is a pivotal component of the mental health, stability, and well-being of a teacher. 

But, that can't be the focus of this post, according to my self-imposed rules.

Fortunately, there are better things to be thankful for than a snow day today.

Like having the time to make homemade loaded potato skins for lunch.

Like watching your daughters shake their groove thang to the beats of Yo Gabba Gabba.

Like eating Air Heads Sour Strips at 11:30 am.

Like reading my book in bed in sweatpants.

Like taking a bath in the middle of the afternoon.

Like having a second to sew a button back onto my favorite sweater (it's been out of commission since last winter).

Like seeing my kids in their pajamas until 4 in the afternoon.

Like my husband offering to take all three kids to the store, so that I could have a few quiet moments alone in the house.

Like listening to Christmas music for every minute that I was conscious today.

Like drawing pictures of Snowmen and Christmas trees on the Magna Doodle with my daughters.

Like curling up next to my husband on the couch as we watched our kid revel in a day at home.

So, nothing to do with the snow day at all, right?  I'm thankful that we were at home together.  It's stolen, unexpected, magical time.

Thank God for the chance to be home!

Lord, thank you for this day and for all of the good things that it brought with it.  Thank you for the thousands of tiny blessings you shower my life with and for the opportunity to enjoy them today.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!