Day 364 -- The Ornaments

Another family tradition that I have tried to carry on even with the craziness of having three kids under five is getting each member of the family a new, unique Christmas ornament to represent the year.  My parents did this with me, and when I had my first big girl Christmas tree with Colby, we didn't have to go out and spend a fortune on ornaments since I brought so many with me...almost like a dowry, right?

It's been fun to choose ornaments for the kids, attempting to bring in their personalities and passions with each and every choice.  Even in Tree Tragedy 2011, we didn't lose any of the kids' ornaments, which is in itself something to be thankful.  I have a feeling that we won't have the freedom to choose for too many more years, if any.  But, this year's choices were successful, as evidenced by the unrestrained love my kids show for their respective ornaments.  On a near-daily basis, my kids check-in with their ornaments.  Tonight, I got the chance to capture each of them by their ornament for this year.  It was pretty darn cute:

AJ with her personalized duck from Bronner's.

Breslin with his very special red and green robot

Dharia with her personalized kitty cat (she thinks she is a kitty cat) from Bronner's


I won't win a prize from Martha Stewart for my tree decorating ability, but I love looking at the boughs and thinking about the years we have spent together as a family. 

Thank God for the ornaments!

Lord, thank you for our tradition and for my parents, who started it all when I was a little girl.  Thank you for protecting the kids' ornaments through the many tree tip-overs this year.  Thank you for the memories they bring and for the wonderful little kids they represent.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

My parents have done the same with the three of us girls and 95% of the ornaments are mine that reside on our tree! We started the tradition with Moira when she was in utero - we kept calling her Sweet Pea, so we found a baby's first Christmas ornament at Hallmark in the shape of a pea pod - it was her first Christmas! She got a few last year at her official first Christmas and this year, she got a personalized ornament from Bronner's and a 2 shaped ornament as we enter this new year as parents of an official toddler! Thankful for such fun holiday traditions!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!