Day 693 -- Newbies

I've had a couple of Spring Arbor University students in my classroom since the start of the school year, observing me.  It's really no big deal, as all teacher education students must spend a certain number of hours observing in a classroom of their major or minor before they can become candidates for student teaching.  I will say, however, that every time I look to the back of my room and see them furiously scribbling notes in their binders, I wonder if I'll be the center of discussion at the next Methods Course meeting, like "Oh my gosh, you wouldn't believe what this teacher I was observing at Western High School did.  What. A. Freak."

Anyhoo, these particular students are on the cusp of their student teaching experience and must teach 2 lessons in my classes before they can meet all of the requirements.  So, they both went today.  The first taught 3rd and 4th hour, the second took 5th and 6th hour.

They were terrific.  Both students were well-prepared and did a fantastic job.  But it was weird for me.  I didn't have anything to do because I wasn't in charge, yet I didn't want to sit at the back of the classroom and stare.  That would just make them more nervous.  So, I tried to grade papers or organize things -- anything that would allow me to keep an ear out while making me appear inconspicuous.  I was only mildly successful at this, but watching those newbies, I kept thinking about nervous and uncomfortable I used to be in front of a group of high schoolers.  I thought about how easy the material feels for me to teach now, how natural it is now to come up with my own activities.  I thought about how I've really developed my strengths, how I've recognized, worked on, and accommodated my weaknesses.  I thought about how at this point in my career, it's a little scary to try something new, but I feel strong enough to take risks.  I thought about how far I've come, and I'm grateful.

Because, the truth is, I've grown immensely since my first year and I can say with confidence that I am a much better teacher this year than I've ever been before.  I hope that I can say that for the rest of my career, however long that may be.  But it's true.  I take for granted all of the growing pains I went through to get here, but today, it all came screaming back again.  Thanks to these newbies, I was able to fully appreciate all of the strides I've made towards being the teacher that I am and eventually will be.

Thank God for newbies!

Lord, thank you for bright shiny newbies who want to teach and change the world.  Please bless their paths towards becoming  teachers.  Thank you for all of the growth you revealed to me during the course of the day today and for the encouragement in provided.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!