Day 367 -- Warm Chex Mix

I love making Chex Mix.  Perhaps more accurately, I love eating Chex Mix.  And in my humble opinion, almost nothing beats warm Chex Mix straight from the oven.  Snow days, maybe.

When I was a kid, I remember my mom used to make Chex Mix specifically around the time of football bowl games.  Of course, I had absolutely no interest in football at that time, but I do recall that she embroidered this cute little forest-green napkin with the words "Reindeer Feed" and a little cartoon reindeer.  She would use it to line the bottom of a bowl that she would fill to the brim with warm, salivation-inducing Chex Mix.  That was the best.  I would sit through any amount of football for the opportunity to stuff my face.

Meijer had a deal this week where they packaged the three types of Chex cereal together with a packet of pre-mixed seasonings.  I couldn't resist.  This afternoon, football was on, dinner was in the slow cooker, and all of the gifts were wrapped, so I took advantage of the few extra minutes I had to make some Chex Mix.

I had some help.  All three kids pulled stools up to the counter to help me measure and dump the ingredients into the giant roasting pan that I bought for the sole reason of making Chex Mix.  I didn't even realize you could use a roasting pan for other things until a couple of years ago when I started having Thanksgiving.  Even then, I bought a separate roasting pan that for turkey.  The original remains for Chex Mix.  They do not under any circumstances cross over.  I'm not sure why.  They just serve very specific purposes in my home.

So, tonight we got to feast on homemade, straight-from-the-oven, piping hot Chex Mix.  We couldn't stop eating it, but somehow we still have some left over.  The room temperature/day after version doesn't compare, but we'll finish it off, I have no doubt.

Thank God for warm Chex Mix!

God, thank you for the chance to make a special treat tonight and to be able to share it with some of the people I love most in the world.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm so glad you're continuing your blog. It's so fun to hear your family tales and musings!
Love you all!
Uncle Stan

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!