Day 376 -- Five

Bres is five today.

A little sad, yes.  Five seems big.  And old.  And like a real kid.

But how amazing his five years have been!  I feel so fortunate to be his mom today.  I feel so lucky for these five years that I have gotten to know and love the amazing person that he is.  I am so happy that I get to see how he grows and who he becomes as he gets older.

I can remember every detail of his birth.  He was our only one and only child...at least for a little while.  Bringing him home was thrilling and terrifying all in one.  As he is our first, every new experience is wrought with uncertainty.  But Breslin makes things easy on us, that's for sure.  He is so good-natured and well-behaved that we haven't really had any trouble.  He makes parenting seem easy.

We didn't make a big huge deal of his birthday, because, honestly, that's not Bres's style.  Instead, we spent a lot of quiet time as a family, where we let him play his Leapster and alphabet apps on his dad's iPad as much as he wanted.  We made his birthday cake together and ate pizza for dinner.  The highlight of his day was when we brought home a giant red balloon that looked like the number five.  This sucker is seriously as tall as he is and he couldn't have been more excited.  Honestly, I wish I could have recorded the look on his face when he got it.  He spent the rest of the day dragging it around the house.

This Year, Breslin:

1) Began to read proficiently, added numbers up to ten with ease, and learned his numbers in the thousands

2) Could turn on the computer, get on-line, and go to PBS Kids, Starfall, Nick Jr., or You Tube all by himself

3) Said that his favorite color is red

4) Said that his favorite letter is A

5) Believed strongly in Santa Claus

6) Told me that "when two vowels go a'walkin', the first one does the talkin'"...

7) Sang in his first school Christmas concert

8) Wore 3T or 4T pants and 4T or 5T shirts

9) Started riding a bike (with training wheels...which he LOVED)

10) Began to enjoy taking pictures of things

11) Received Alfie the Letter A Monster stuffed animal as a gift, who he sleeps with at night

12) Lost (and later found) Little Robbie

13) Got a trampoline from his Nana which he is crazy good at bouncing on

14) Got a swingset from his Grandpa that he like to play pretend in

15) Tried really hard not to hit his sisters when they made him mad, but did not always succeed

16) Had a hard time staying in bed after we tucked him in for the night

17) Cried almost anytime that he was criticized

18) Began to love going grocery shopping with his dad on Monday nights

19) Started his fascination with robots

20) Thought he was a puppy

And much, much more.

I am grateful for this year with my son.  I am thankful that God gave him to me because he is so cool.  But also because having Breslin changed my life.

Thank God for five!

Lord, thank you for my very special five year-old boy.  Thank you for this year with him.  Thank you for keeping him safe.  Please continue to watch over him as he grows up into the person you desire for him to be.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Suzanne Gibbs said…
What an amazingly awesome post. He is wonderful and as I was thinking about him yesterday and today, I, too, am so thankful for him being in my life. He is a truly special, special person. xo

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!