Day 417 -- Albion Library

We have a rocking awesome library here in the community of Albion.  You really wouldn't expect that Albion could have the quality of the librarians, the breadth of services, or the expansive facilities that our library offers.  Colby visits the library several times weekly to pick up an array of children's literature for his review and to read to our kids at night.  They are spoiled with "new" books almost daily.  I read library books exclusively, as I believe it is a cheap way to read what I want while supporting the community and being environmentally friendly.  I am a stick-in-the-mud when it comes to reading books.  No, I don't want to buy a book from the store and no, I will never buy an e-reader.  I love the feeling of turning time-worn and slightly yellowy-faded pictures that have that unmistakable smell of words and stories...and dust.  I like to see my bookmark haphazardly march from one side of my book to the other as I make my way to the end.  I love the feeling of accomplishment I get from dumping a load of heavy hardcovers into the wooden return bin and hearing the satisfactory thunk.

Today, we stopped by (as we often do) after lunch to pick up a few books and happened to come in just as a group from Albion College was performing a stage version of the book Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.  Sadly, there was only one other little girl in the audience, so with my kids there were only four audience members altogether.  They were altogether mesmerized by the book in action, even coming on stage to dance during the wild rumpus.  Dharia even kind of looked like a wild thing herself with her hair a terrible a mess and her face streaked with pizza sauce from our lunch.  Afterwards, the college students took some time to color pictures of wild things with the kids and to talk to them about the story.  Here is what Breslin colored:



"He roars a red red roar"

I rode home thinking how lucky we are to have such an amazing place for us here.  Today I am thankful for the opportunities that library provides for my kids to have fun and to build their minds and for the services it provides for Colby and I to enjoy reading each and every day.

Thank God for the Albion Library!

Lord, thank you for our library.  Thank you for the people that support it financially and for the ones that support it with the work that they do on a voluntary basis.  Thank you for the fun we have because of our library and for the resources it brings to our kids and to our community.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!