Day 425 -- First Swim of the Season

It's always tough to get going on my swim training, for multiple reasons. 

First and foremost, the Dean Aquatic Center at Albion College is intimidating.  From the locker room full of svelte, athletic, college-age swimmers with advanced swimming gear to the men in Speedo suits powering past me in adjacent lanes in the pool, being there makes me feel like a turd. 

Secondly, going swimming involves walking a significant distance with wet hair in the cold--never an enjoyable task. 

Finally, open swim times only line up with my schedule late at night.  Therefore, I have to drag myself out of the house after a couple of hours of eating and being warm and comfortable.

I have had my four-month membership for a month now and today was the first time I used it.

And, you know what?

It was GREAT.

It was a warm, sunny day, so I didn't have to worry about my hair freezing, and I had the day off of school, so I went at a reasonable hour.  To top it off, the locker room was empty and the only people in the pool were a couple of elderly ladies doing water aerobics.  It was a great way to start off my swim training, because instead of feeling like a turd, I could just concentrate on how great it felt to swim.

I left the Dean Aquatic Center feeling refreshed and confident, thankful to have my first swim workout under my belt!

Thank God for the first swim of the season!

God, thank you for the chance to go for a swim today.  I was so grateful to be able to gain confidence and get in a great workout.  Please help me to get over myself and get into the Dean more often.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!