Day 490 -- Kindergarten Round-Up

Breslin went to Kindergarten Round-Up tonight.  To say he was happy about being at school would be a vast understatement.  It was like he was in his natural element.  The letters and numbers up on the walls, all of the people asking him questions, the structure and routine--well, it made for a very exciting environment for our little guy.  While traveling around to the different stations with a high school volunteer, we did the boring stuff and wondered how Breslin was faring.  Would he be shy or reserved?  Would he be difficult and refuse to answer any questions?  Would he blow them away with his intellectual promise?

A colleague of mine at the high school is married to one of our district's kindergarten teachers.  When I got home tonight and started working on school stuff, she had sent me a picture of Breslin she took during his testing session.  

I think he did okay.

After he made all of his stops, Breslin got the opportunity to get on a real bus and go for a ride.  He let us go with him, which made me very excited.  Call me crazy, but I love riding school buses.  I remember I was so excited to go to Western because I got to ride the bus for the first time ever.  But, I digress.

Anyhoo, the bus basically took us around the block, which meant we zoomed straight past Grandpa and Grandma Sharp's house.  This caused Breslin to let out a whoop of excitement.  When the bus driver realized that Breslin's grandpa and grandma lived on the route, she offered to drop us off at our "stop".  We were all pretty geeked to not have to walk home.  Instead we were dropped off right where we needed to be, and with a captive audience of Sharps to boot!  (Okay, so that's not entirely true.  None of the Sharps even noticed us getting off the bus at their house.  But, wouldn't that have been cool?)

It was so fun to see my son so overcome with joy tonight.  I thought I'd be sad about him getting older now that the whole kindergarten thing is becoming reality, but with the glow on his face I saw tonight, I couldn't help but just grin the whole time.   I can't wait for him to get the opportunity to immerse himself in something I just know he'll love.

Thank God for Kindergarten Round-Up!

God, thank you for a fun and not-at-all sad night.  Thank you that Breslin had a good experience at Kindergarten Round-Up.  Help us to support and encourage him as he begins school so it will continue to be something he loves.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Suzanne Gibbs said…
Okay, I've been asking my kindergarten teacher co-worker EVERY day this week if Bres has shown up and raving on and on about him. Tonight she sent me a text with a pic of him cheesing away!!! I'm SO stoked for him!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!