Day 499 -- Prom

Today was Western's prom.  Since I bailed as junior class advisor last summer in order to take on student council, I once again managed to get out of the planning and execution of a high school prom (I moved to WHS the summer before the year I would have had to at Northwest).  Nevertheless, I had a role in picking the location before I stepped down: the beautiful Michigan Theatre in downtown Jackson.  I took Dharia with me tonight, because I wanted to see how it all turned out. 

I was in awe.  The old building sparkled with the old Hollywood theme.  The kids all looked amazing in their formal wear.  Dharia and I nibbled on movie-themed snacks like concession stand candy and popcorn while we oohed and ahhed at the "princess" dresses and watched the dancing from the movie seats.  The committee really did a wonderful job at making this year's prom one that these students won't ever forget.

I had an unforgettable time with my daughter as well.  I did her hair, picked her out a new dress to wear, and let her wear her new sparkly Tom's.  We walked all around the building, said hi to my students, and even danced a little bit. 

My favorite moment of the night was right when we got to the theatre.  After looking around at the girls in their dresses and then noticing her own footwear she said to me, "Well, I guess princesses don't wear socks, do they mom?" 

No, princesses don't wear socks.

Thank God for prom!

Dear God, thank you for the chance to hang out with my daughter tonight.  Thank you for the opportunity my students have tonight to make some memories in a cool and special venue.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Barb said…
You are both beautiful princesses - with or without socks!
Jim said…
You both look wonderful!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!