Day 500 -- Grandma Combs

At my wedding shower, which seems like a hundred million years ago, Colby's mom surprised me by presenting me with a beautiful quilt, which was made by her grandmother, Grandma Combs.  The gesture was so thoughtful, and the quilt so breathtaking, that I broke down into tears on the spot.  The quilt has held a special place in my heart ever since.  The blanket has been come to be known as "Grandma Combs" and is a staple in our living room.  It has wrapped up all three of my babies, covered me up when I have been sick, covered up the kids when they have been sick, been an indoor picnic blanket, topped several forts, and has played an essential role in many a good nap.  Tonight, after giving the girls a bath, we all curled up together on the porch.  Dharia has really taken to making sure that whoever is on the couch has Grandma Combs covering them up.  She and AJ sat together drinking milk, and I sat on the end with my feet up (my legs were dying from a tough training weekend) and we all were "comfy-cozy" (Dharia's words) under the quilt.  I bet Grandma Combs would have loved to see her quilt covering up her great-great granddaughters.  I am so thankful to have this meaningful and comforting heirloom in our house and to have the opporutnity share it with my family.
Thank God for Grandma Combs (the person and the quilt)!

God, thank you for this awesome quilt and for the amazing lady who made it.  Thank you that Colby's mom was willing to let me have it.  Thank you for the peace and comfort it can bring.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Jim said…
Great picture and wonderful story ... thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!