Day 501 -- Dinosaurs

Breslin isn't enamored by many of the stereotypical boy things; he's not really into trucks, or baseball, or Spider-Man.  The boy is obsessed with the alphabet mostly, but he does have passion for one truly all-boy topic: dinosaurs. My Breslin has a love of dinosaurs that dates back to his early, early days when we would read Ten Little Dinosaurs, and he would stun me into speechlessness by repeating the names of the dinosaurs.  Can you imagine 18 month-old Breslin saying "Pachycephalosaurus"?  



I am grateful that Breslin has something besides the alphabet that he can pursue with fervency.  I am especially thankful because on nights like tonight, I get to watch his face light up with joy while sharing this love with him.  Before bed, we read a giant dinosaur pop-up book that my dad gave Breslin by Robert Sabuda.  This is no ordinary pop-up book.  The sheer engineering brilliance of the pop-up dinosaurs is a marvel in and of itself.

prehistorica dinosaurs

Tonight as I read the book, I learned all kinds of cool stuff. 

Did you know that Mamenchisaurus had a neck that was 7 times longer than a giraffe?


Or that ornithomimids could run up to 50 miles an hour?




Or that the brain of a stegosaurus was only 3 cm big?  Dummy.




I had so much fun reading and learning with Breslin, and for that I am so thankful.  We were like two dorky peas in pod. 

Thank God for dinosaurs!

God, thank you for time with my son learning about something he loves tonight.  In your name I pray, Amen.


Comments

Jim said…
I love you dorks.

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!