Day 522 -- Swimming

When I was a kid, swimming was one of my most favorite things to do.  It could be Lake Michigan, the Nottawaseppi River at my grandparent's log cabin, or a friend's pool; if there was a body of water that I could swim in, I wouldn't hesitate to dive in.  I wouldn't get out until my parents absolutely made me.  I would make up water floor routines (complete with mount and dismount), pretend I was a mermaid, or explore whatever shells/rocks/wildlife I could find.  I couldn't fathom why a hotel wouldn't have a swimming pool.  What was the point of even going to a hotel if you couldn't swim?

As an adult, my love for swimming is satisfied throughout my triathlon training.  I love the peaceful intensity of a swim session and the refreshing sense of cool water gliding over me during every stroke.

Today, I was happy to see my kids exhibit a budding love for swimming as they played for hours in Lime Lake.   Within 10 minutes of arriving, the kids were in the water.  Despite being cut by zebra mussels (Dharia), having leeches attached to their feet (Breslin and Dharia), and going all day without a nap (Breslin, Dharia, and AJ), the kids swam without interruption and without giving any indications of wanting to quit. 

I was grateful for this opportunity for them to enjoy something I have always loved so much and to see something that we have very much in common today.

Thank God for swimming!

Lord, thank you for the time spent with family today.  Thank you for the joy that swimming brings to both me and my kids.  Please give us many more opportunities to swim together.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!