Day 529 -- Honored and Humbled

*Note: When I got home from graduation yesterday, I felt like that part of the apple that comes out of the side of a Squeezo.  If you've never made homemade applesauce, you won't understand that analogy at all, but suffice it to say that it is sort of like your insides have been completely sucked out.  I was mentally and physically exhausted after a week of thinking and panicking about my speech.  I fell asleep almost instantly after dinner, and asked my husband to translate a quick verbal post about how thankful I was that I got through my graduation speech okay and didn't wreck graduation for the seniors.  I guess he took that to mean that he should post my entire speech...well...anyway.  I guess a thousand-plus heard it yesterday, so a few more reading it is no big deal, but I certainly didn't think that it was so wonderful that I needed to paste it all over the Internet.  Really, my goals for the speech were the same as my goals for the Ironman (49 days!):

1) Don't go to the hospital.

2) Finish.

I managed to accomplish both of those goals.  That's what I was thankful for.

I got probably 8 comments about my speech on my hike (literally) from the stage to my car after the ceremony and at least 30 on the bright turquoise heels I wore, for what it's worth. 

So, please don't think that I have now decided I am some sort of public speaking genius or anything.  On the contrary, I think it will be several years until I am recovered enough to do that again.  But, I am proud that I was asked to give the address and thrilled beyond words that it's all over.

On to today's post, then.

-------

There is this pretty amazing girl that just graduated from Western yesterday.  She's the kind of girl that makes you happy to be a teacher.  She is hard-working, dedicated, appreciative, and mature.  I am so glad that she is graduating because I feel that she is one of those rare students that I could connect with not as a former student, but as a real friend. 

So, "pretty amazing" is a severe understatement, really.  She freaking rocks.  When I think about what I would like my girls to be like when they are in high school, I would be absolutely thrilled if it was exactly like her. 

Today, she stopped by to say a real goodbye, even though she had a gazillion other things she could have been doing.  We have been seeing each other at graduation "events" over the past week or so, but every time there was always a "next time" we would see each other, so it was never a true farewell.

She asked me to be her mentor as she matriculates Spring Arbor University, studying secondary education.

I was so honored and humbled.

I don't know what in the world I did to get this incredible breath of fresh air, this girl with an extraordinary head on her shoulders to think so highly of me.  I really, really don't.  But, I'm honored that she wants me in her life.  And I am humbled by the request.  I know that if I am truly going to be able to mentor her, there are so many parts of my own life that need improvement before I could hope to offer her anything.

She is off to work as a camp counselor this summer, so it was difficult to say goodbye, knowing I wouldn't see her again until the fall.  She wrote me a heartfelt note and gave me a hug and was on her way.  I cried a lot a bit as she left, but I managed to keep it in until she was gone (so the first few students to come into my 7th hour were a little confused, but that's pretty normal). 

I feel blessed to know this outstanding woman who has her entire future stretching out in front of her and who I know will do huge things.  I am sad that the teacher-student portion of our relationship is over, but a new chapter is just beginning.  I'm excited that I get to be a part of it.

Thank God for feeling honored and humbled!

God, thank you for this girl and thank you for the way she made me feel today.  Please help me to do right by her request and bless our relationship in the upcoming years.  In your name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!