Day 533 -- Last Day

Last day of school!

Last day of school!

Last day of school!

What else needs to be said, really?

Well, nothing, but you know I'm going to anyway.  So, here goes.

It's been a long year, but a good one. 

  • It was the first year I had a shoe fly across the lab while we were working on an experiment. 
  • It was the first year I spoke at a conference. 
  • It was the first year I spoke at graduation! 
  • It was the first time I sang in front of the entire student body. 
  • It was the first year I missed more than 2 days of school in a row. 
  • It was the first year I tried standards-based grading.
  • It was the first year I had two students tell me they wanted to become chemistry teachers. 
  • It was the first year I trained for an Ironman during the school year. 
  • It was the first year I went to Kindergarten round-up. 
  • It was my first year as student council co-advisor. 
  • It was the year I received tenure, and then found out that tenure doesn't exist any more.
  • It was the first year we did Power Boost/Play.
  • It was the first year I participated in a lip dub.

It was a good year.  But, I'll say it again.  One of the things I love the most about my job -- besides all of those obvious things like making a difference in the lives of young people, blah, blah, blah -- is the sense of closure you get at the end of the year.  It's like each school year is a little project to finish.  When the project is complete, you tie up any lose ends and declare it done.

And when I declare this year done, I mean to shout it from the rooftops! 

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!

When we got home today, my oldest friend had hung a giant green banner on our house that said, "Welcome to Summer Vacation!"  That's exactly how I felt -- so full of energy and anticipation that I just wanted everyone to know.

Today, I'm obviously thankful that we have reached the end of the 2011-2012 school year, my 7th year as a full-time high school science teacher.  I'm also thankful for my many friends and family who have supported me through this year and are ready to celebrate with me.

Thank God for the last day!

Lord, thank you for getting us through another school year.  Please bless us with a relaxing and fun-filled summer.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Kristin said…
Now that school is done....Let's get together and have a drink. Please:)

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!