Day 535 -- People Who Get Over

Today, as I was on my bike for 5 hours, I was buzzed by freakishly close by several cars, nearly thrown into the ditch by some sideview mirrors, even honked by and flipped off by a car coming at me from the opposite direction (I still cannot even fathom what that was all about--disgruntled students, maybe?).  I know, I know.  We cyclists and runners are an inconvenience to drivers.  I get it.  But, I also know that the law, the actual law, states that vehicles must give at least three feet clearance to runners and bikers.  For those who are visual learners, picture a meter stick taped to a cyclist or a runner.  That's how far you legally must get over.  That includes if a vehicle is coming from the opposite direction.  Yes, you may have to slow down or even come to a complete stop.  But, we thank you in advance for preventing us from becoming roadkill.  Truly, there is no honor in hitting a pedestrian. 

I cannot believe the number of people who do not get over for me as I am running or biking.  It's frustrating and worrisome, to say the least.  I don't know if drivers are mad at us runners/bikers for being healthy, being environmentally friendly, or doing something to better ourselves, but I think they are mostly just mad that we're there

I was definitely stewing about this today, at length, when a thought occurred to me: for every driver that nearly succeeds in running me off the road, there are at least 6-10 who give me more than adequate space, do not honk at me, and in general, make me feel completely safe and happy to be on the road.  It's just that the other ones stick out so much and get my emotions going completely that it's easy to forget this.  So, today, I'm thankful for making it safely through another long bike ride (85 miles!) and for the many, many drivers who are considerate and keep my well-being in mind as they cruise past. 

If you are one of these people, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.   You are appreciated.

Thank God for people who get over!

Dear Lord, thank you for the many folks who are kind enough to think of my safety as I'm on the road.  Thank you for a safe bike ride today.  In your name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Sarah Eles said…
I second this Alaina,

It worries me so much when I go biking with my girls that I go to the extreme and I take a shortened bike flag and stick it out at an angle from our bikes. It forces cars to go around unless they want their finish scratched. It works like a charm, because it actually shows the driver how close they really are to us. Whenever I do this most cars actually move to the other lane.
My husband Steve and I joke that EVERYONE would move over if I put a nice shiny fork at the end of the flag :)
It takes a bit of rigging, some tape etc...(I need to invent a convertible prototype), but if you are getting buzzed a lot you should give it a try....maybe we can start a trend out on the roads!

-Sarah

Popular posts from this blog

Day 162 -- "Showing Us the Way"

Adelai Joy

We Dance...and We Sing...When We Play the Drum!